Writer-Consultant & Founder, 2012 – present
Obsidian Writing & Consulting, LLC, Dearborn, MI
- Write and submit funding applications, letters of intent/inquiry, one-pagers, and pitch sheets.
- Develop programming to align with agency mission and available grant opportunities.
- Draft budgets in coordination with the client’s c-suite.
- Research grant opportunities/prospects.
- Support client in defining program and agency goals and developing data collection and tracking efforts to support evidence-based goal attainment.
- Write a variety of content for publication on social media, website, and newsletter platforms to cultivate clients’ voice and brand. Such content includes:
- Chief executive messages to supporters.
- Client and volunteer stories.
- Responses to current events and government policy announcements.
- Website pages.
- Redesigned client’s investment package brochure, transitioning it from an explanation of sponsorship levels to a compelling story and a call to action.
- Assisted with the design of the client’s e-newsletter.
- Wrote press releases, direct mail, and website content to promote the school district’s $76 million school bond proposal which passed with 68% of the vote.
Features & News Writing
- Reported for Corp! Magazine, a bi-monthly online and print business magazine covering Michigan and the surrounding region.
- Topics included Dearborn’s burgeoning art scene, millennials in the skilled trades, cyber security, women-entrepreneurs, and remote work.
- Reported for the Press & Guide, a Digital First Media publication, covering news in Dearborn and Dearborn Heights.
- Topics included local elementary school events, art, city council meetings, human trafficking, and the Armenian Genocide.
Data & Special Projects
- Research, recommend, and implement programmatic databases, constituent relationship management software, and other tools to drive fundraising goals, enhance services, increase staff capacity, and save money, yielding a 60% cost savings for one client.
- Develop a system of database procedures to ensure data quality.
- Create customized reports within the new databases to identify key, actionable data points on which the organization can build its fund development strategy.
Director of Grants & Information Management, 2010 – 12
Director of Information Management, 2008 – 10
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency, Wyandotte, MI
- Created a grants management framework to ensure the succession of institutional knowledge for 60 contracts worth over $8,000,000.
- Monitored contract compliance for 40 – 50 grant awards, fulfilling stewardship and reporting goals.
- Composed the agency’s annual narrative report, detailing outcomes and outputs across a wide array of programs.
- Implemented common data collection procedures to enhance transparency, streamline documentation, and improve data analysis.
- Directed Google Apps installation for +200 staff, resolving existing email system failures and adding key functionality, including common scheduling and file sharing.
- Implemented a region-wide funder-mandated programmatic database.
- Coordinate a funder-mandated initiative to count and interview unsheltered homeless persons in 42 Wayne County communities.
Freedom House, Detroit, MI
Treasurer/Chair, Board of Directors’ Finance Committee, 2015 – 17
Member, Board of Directors’ Finance Committee, 2013 – 15
Chair, Board of Directors’ Strategic Planning Committee, 2013
Haigh Footslogger Crew Walk to School Program, Dearborn, MI
Co-founder & Chief Crew Leader, 2013 – 16
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Master of Arts in International Relations, 1998
University of Michigan-Dearborn, Dearborn, MI
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science with Minor in Hispanic Studies, 1996
For my complete resume, please view